The QU Scholarship is a post secondary scholarship program created by Dr. Shel-Don J. Legarreta and Dr. Kevin Axx to promote scholastic excellence in Arizona LGBT youth regardless of financial, social, or personal backgrounds. QU partners with one n ten, Arizona’s premiere LGBT youth organization. Applicants must identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender and demonstrate active and outstanding participation in the various programs offered by the youth-serving agency.
- U.S. citizen
- Arizona resident
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Graduating high school senior or current high school graduate either admitted to or already attending an accredited college, university, or technical/vocational school in Arizona.
- Full time enrollment
- Must be an active member of one n ten.
- One of the two required references in the General Application must be from a staff member at one n ten.
- Finalists for the QU Scholarship award will be required to attend an interview in the late afternoon on Wednesday, February 6 at the Arizona Community Foundation. The Arizona Community Foundation will notify finalists to schedule the interviews.
- The student receiving the award is expected to attend one n ten’s annual Fresh Brunch, late morning on February 10.
This scholarship may be automatically renewable for one additional year of study (two awards maximum) as long as:
- Student maintains minimum 3.0 GPA and full-time enrollment. If the student is attending a trade school or institution without GPAs, they must satisfactorily complete all requirements for forward progress within their certification program.
- Student completes 40 hours of community service per academic year and maintains at least quarterly meetings with their assigned QU Scholarship mentors.