Albert R. & Nellie D. Spikes Scholarship Fund
Evelyn Lathram and her husband established this scholarship in memory of her grandparents, Albert R. and Nellie D. Spikes. During his career as Bowie teacher, principal, superintendent and ultimately Arizona state senator, A.R. Spikes was a lifelong advocate for education. He was responsible for building the current high school, gymnasium, and the community pool, among many other accomplishments. His wife, Nellie, was a grade school teacher in Bowie and San Simon.
A resident of Oro Valley, Ms. Lathram is a graduate of Bowie schools. She credits her early education for preparing her to excel in post-secondary studies at the University of Arizona, and in her career as a successful computer programmer. Ms. Lathram is proud to honor her grandparents’ dedication to education with the goal to provide support for graduating high school students of Bowie, Arizona, to attend a post-secondary education institution.
- Student must be a resident of the town of Bowie, Arizona or is a graduating senior from Bowie High School. (Student may live in nearby area and graduate from Bowie, OR live in Bowie and graduate from Wilcox or San Simon High Schools)
- Student must be seeking to enroll in any type of post-secondary education at any type of school. (Vocational, 2-year or 4 year school in the U.S.)
- Student may be enrolled less than full-time
The Albert R. and Nellie D. Spikes Scholarship may be renewed for up to four years, based on satisfactory progress made as determined by enrollment. Previous recipients will be contacted via email during the spring semester with instructions on how to request renewed funding. In order to be considered for renewal:
- The student must be in good standing with the school and eligible for continuation, and
- The student must submit a school transcript and one page essay describing the highs and lows of the previous academic year.