The QU Scholarship is a post secondary scholarship program created by Dr. Shel-Don J. Legarreta and Dr. Kevin Axx to promote scholastic excellence in Arizona LGBT youth regardless of financial, social, or personal backgrounds. QU partners with one n ten, Arizona’s premiere LGBT youth organization. Applicants must identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender and demonstrate active and outstanding participation in the various programs offered by the youth-serving agency.
- U.S. citizen
- Arizona resident
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Graduating high school senior or current high school graduate either admitted to or already attending an accredited college, university, or technical/vocational school in Arizona.
- Full time enrollment
- Must be an active member of one n ten.
- One of the two required references in the General Application must be from a staff member at one n ten.
- Finalists for the QU Scholarship award will be required to attend an interview in the late afternoon on the first week of February at the Arizona Community Foundation. The Arizona Community Foundation will notify finalists to schedule the interviews.
- The student receiving the award is expected to attend one n ten’s annual Fresh Brunch, late morning on February 9.
This scholarship may be automatically renewable for one additional year of study (two awards maximum) as long as:
- Student maintains minimum 3.0 GPA and full-time enrollment. If the student is attending a trade school or institution without GPAs, they must satisfactorily complete all requirements for forward progress within their certification program.
- Student completes 40 hours of community service per academic year and maintains at least quarterly meetings with their assigned QU Scholarship mentors.