QU "Arizona At-Large" Scholarship
The QU “Arizona At-Large” Scholarship is a post-secondary scholarship program created by Dr. Shel-Don J. Legarreta and Dr. Kevin Axx to promote scholastic excellence in Arizona LGBT youth regardless of financial, social, or personal backgrounds. Drs. Legarreta and Axx have partnered with one n ten, Arizona’s premier LGBT youth organization since the inception of their scholarship program. The QU “Arizona At-Large” Scholarship recognizes outstanding youth who may not have direct connections with one n ten. Applicants must identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender.
- U.S. citizen
- Arizona resident
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Graduating high school senior or current high school graduate either admitted to or already attending an accredited college, university or technical/vocational school in Arizona.
- Full-time student.
- One of the two required references in the General Application must be from a teacher, coach, or faculty sponsor.
Interview and Event Information:
- Finalists for the QU “Arizona At-Large” Scholarship award will be required to attend an interview in the late afternoon on the first week of February at the Arizona Community Foundation.
- The Arizona Community Foundation will notify finalists to schedule the interviews.
- The student receiving the award is expected to attend one n ten’s annual Fresh Brunch in the late morning on February 9.
This scholarship may be automatically renewable for one additional year of study (two awards maximum) as long as:
- The student maintains a minimum 3.0 GPA and full-time enrollment. If the student is attending a trade school or institution without GPAs, they must satisfactorily complete all requirements for forward progress within their certification program.
- The student completes 40 hours of community service per academic year and maintains at least quarterly meetings with their assigned QU Scholarship mentors.